6 Ways to Save Money on Your Kitchen Remodel Without Skimping
If you’re going to invest your heart and money in a kitchen remodel, you want what you want. You have an idea of how your kitchen remodel will turn out. And if you can’t get exactly what you have in mind, it hardly seems worth the bother.
This mentality keeps many homeowners from getting the kitchen remodel they so desperately want and need. It doesn’t have to be that way. With the right Johnson County, KS kitchen remodeler and some savvy budgeting tips, you CAN get the kitchen remodel of your dreams within your budget.
Thinking about a kitchen remodel? Here are six ways to save money on your kitchen remodel without skimping:
1. Don’t move the plumbing. Keep your sinks and gas- and water-using appliances in the same place. Reconfiguring and rerunning new gas and water lines is expensive. Plus, will you really benefit from moving the kitchen sink to the opposite side of the kitchen? Generally, not.
2. Donate your old appliances to a good cause and take a tax deduction for your generosity. Why put a perfectly working kitchen appliance on the curb for the trash truck? Organizations like Habitat ReStore will take your unwanted appliances and sell them at a very affordable price. They accept most kitchen items including cabinets, appliances, sinks, doors, and more. It’s a charitable donation and can be used as a tax deduction. Donating helps you pay for your kitchen remodel and helps furnish a kitchen in need.
3. Plan ahead. Way ahead. Make decisions early and your kitchen remodel will go smoothly and be more likely to stay within budget. Pick out appliances right away. They dictate how big everything else is going to be. A big chunk of any kitchen remodel budget? Appliances. It also helps keep wiring costs in check. The electrician must install the right outlets with the correct voltage in the right place. This avoids costly rewiring later on.
4. Determine your kitchen remodel budget early. Create a budget to start with and it’ll help keep everyone on track. Having a budget also helps you make selections based on your priorities. Have one budget for appliances and one for the rest of the kitchen remodel project. Buying a more affordable refrigerator could help you get the granite countertops you really want.
5. Choose appliances to match your lifestyle. This is where you can save serious cash in a kitchen remodel. If you hate boiling water, a 9-burner cooktop with double ovens may be a bit much. Sometimes professional grade appliances end up like treadmills—sounded good at the time, but never used. And you can’t hide your appliances in a basement out of sight.
6. Can the idea of canned lighting. Focus more on under cabinet lighting and less on recessed can lights. Pendant lighting too is more cost effective than can lighting.